Old Allenstown Meeting House Committee

  • 1985 Fire Photo

The Old Allenstown Meeting House is located at 150 Deerfield Road in Allenstown New Hampshire. It was built in 1815 in what was at the time the center of Allenstown. It is unique in construction because of it's slanted floor. It may well be the only single story - slanted floor meeting house in existence today. It was built for use by religious organizations and for town purposes. The interior was very simple in detail and the original pew holders names have been preserved. By 1876, the Industrial Revolution had arrived and textile mills were built in the western part of Allenstown known as Suncook Village. Farms were sold or abandoned and the population moved towards the village. In November of 1876, it was voted to discontinue community use of the meeting house. In 1908 Article 10 transfered possession of the meeting house to Buntin Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. They restored the building in 1909.

In 1985 an arsonist caused extensive damage to the structure. Temporary repairs made and in 1991 the property was transfered to the New Hampshire Division of Parks. On March 9, 2004 ownership was transfered to the town of Allenstown. The town appointed a Steering Committee to restore the building. Several grants were received from the State LCHIP and Moose Plate Programs, PSNH and TD BANK to fund the restoration. Fund raisers were held by the Allenstown Revitalization Association and later by the Allenstown Historical Society, help from the Allenstown BOS, Police, Fire and Highway Departments. Donations by local businesses, individuals and visitors helped fund the restoration. Hundreds of volunteer hours and donations of materials rounded off the project. The final phase of restoration was completed in the summer of 2013.

The building re-opened on August 1, 2013. We encourage one and all to visit and enjoy and appreciate a very important part of our history.

The OAMH Committee is charged with managing the building and maintaining its historic character.

Board Members

Name Title
Armand Verville Chairman
James Garvin Secretary
Claudette Verville Member
Roland Martel Member